New Seasons Development provides three primary services:
1) Consulting to Non-Profit, For-Profit and Housing Authority Clients
2) Development of Rental and For Sale Housing (both market rate and affordable)
3) Assistance to Municipalities Interested in Managing Development
1) Consulting to Non-Profit, For-Profit and Housing Authority Clients - New Season’s principal, Wendy Cohen, is an experienced housing professional who is knowledgeable about the obstacles faced by developers. She is also a financing expert in the field of affordable housing. This expertise is used to guide every consulting engagement, and specific assistance is offered to clients, including the following:
- due diligence related to acquisition, zoning, environmental and other matters;
- financial structuring and feasibility analysis;
- completion of funding applications;
- housing design, site planning and sustainable development; and
- compliance with zoning and financing requirements, include those of the Chapter 40B permitting process and of various financing programs, as needed.
2) Development of Rental and For Sale Housing - New Seasons will focus on the following types of housing:
- Mixed Income Housing (Market Rate and Affordable) - This approach allows a municipality to meet the needs of its residents at many income tiers and avoids concentrations of poverty in larger developments.
- Market Rate Single Family/Condo Housing - This type of housing rapidly increases the supply of housing overall and can be best designed to meet the needs of smaller families at modest prices.
- Multifamily Rental Housing – Decent, safe affordable apartments for all low- and middle-income tiers.
- Mixed Tenure Housing (both sales and rental in one development) - This model allows a town or city to meet the needs of its residents at many income tiers including first-time homebuyers.
3) Assistance to Municipalities Interested in Managing Development - Community leaders in the Commonwealth are interested in seeing real estate development occur in their city or town, but only if it is thoughtfully designed and well-managed. New Seasons assists municipalities that are willing to consider the development of affordable housing in their communities but need assistance in determining how to make the projects proposed by developers both financially feasible and in the interest of the municipality itself. The firm offers the following types of assistance to communities:
- Determining whether the size and scale of a proposed housing development project is necessary to make it financially feasible for the developer;
- Reviewing the plans submitted by the developer and assisting in developing suggestions for improvement to meet the needs of the community;
- Guiding new developers to sites that are most suitable for development in communities that have already identified sites; and,
- Helping municipalities allocate Community Preservation Act funds to worthy housing and historic rehab projects.